Monday, August 6, 2012

bump #24: be still



Sorry for the hiatus! Let’s catch up, shall we?

I am still alive.
I am still not pregnant.

 
Be still and know that I am God.”

 
Still doesn’t sound like a great place to be, it sounds counter-productive and lazy (spoken from a true obsessive-compulsive, multi-tasking busy-body). I don’t have the patience or desire to just chill and be still. And yet I hear God clearly telling me to be still right now.


The conversation goes something like this:

Me: God, what in the world is wrong with me? Why can’t I have a baby?

God: Be still and know that I am God
Me: Ok, but what about the six girls on my newsfeed that had perfect, precious babies last week? They are the same age I was when I started trying to get pregnant. What’s up with that?
God: Be still and know that I am God.
Me: Um yeah, you said that already. Duly noted.  Thinks ’yeah, I’ll have plenty of time to be still once I have a nice big baby bump and am restricted to bed rest.’ 
God: {face palm} - at least that’s what I imagine his response to be :)

 
The conversation doesn’t always end there, but His response is always the same. It’s kind of infuriating. Until I realize that He keeps telling me the same thing not because he is a recorder on playback, but because I am simply not getting it. His words go right over my head (FYI: I am 4’11” so most things do go right over my head!) Perhaps He is a little infuriated with my response as well. Ugh. I keep missing the point. Can anyone relate? I so want to please my heavenly Father and live a life that reflects his truth, but my tiny brain just can’t fathom how He loves me so much when I miss the mark so bad.

I’ve tried to be still. I even tried yoga once. It was a disaster of epic proportions. My downward dog looked like disco duck. Don’t ask! I don’t think He understands just how hard it is for me to be still. There are way too many things for me to be busy worrying about. I guess that’s why he doesn’t stop there. He goes on to say AND know that I am God. Apparently these concepts go hand in hand. It has always been easier for me to know that He is God. Of course I don’t acknowledge it when I act like I am, but deep down I know. He is good at reminding me.

Here is an example:

I am terrified of the ocean. (Luckily cruise ships combat that fear!)
It all started when I was 4 years old and walking at Shell Beach collecting shells. Imagine that! (I feel it important to say that this was the only time I ever went to the beach without my mom, and of course, the only time I almost drowned.) I ventured out into the water and it was only up to my knees so I took a couple more steps. Unbeknownst to me, the sandbar I was walking on dropped off suddenly and the water was immediately over my head. I panicked. I had taken swimming lessons, but the elementary backstroke of “monkey, airplane, soldier” wasn’t going to save me from that current. I dropped my handful of seashells and my arms were flailing, I was not a svelte tot and was sinking fast. I reached up as high as I could and still was underwater. My eyes stung from the saltwater so I closed them tightly and just as I did, I felt something hit my feet. It was flat and soft and it lifted me back to where I could stand. It could have been an angel or a stingray or a wad of seaweed, but whatever it was, God used it to rescue me. When my arms were flailing and I was sinking down, down, down, he was already there to pull me out.


God wants to rescue us.

All he asks is that we be still so that He can. 

Bottom line: We cannot rescue ourselves. We need to get out of our own way so that He can.


Right now I am drowning in a sea of infertility.

It sucks.

He knows. He is already here to pull me out.


But sometimes I am not still; sometimes I worry that He has let go of me for a minute, you know to see if I can swim. 

I can't.
So I panic.   

And then I turn on the radio and this is what I hear:

Oh no, you never let go
Through the calm and through the storm.
Oh no, you never let go
Every high and every low.
Oh no, you never let go
Lord, you never let go of me…

I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on.
There will be an end to these troubles, but until that day comes,
Still I will praise you
Still I will praise you.

image via


 

3 comments:

  1. Love this post- I can relate way more than I would like to! I am thankful that God has filled the sea with plenty of other people that are "drowning" right alongside me so I at least feel less alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I needed this SO bad. Thanks for GETTING IT and reminding me. Also, pretty sure God facepalms at me on a daily (if not hourly) basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great words. :) I'm a friend of Erika's and got to this post from her post the other day. I'm also in the infertility boat, 3 yrs now, with NO medical thing wrong (that they can find, anyway). It's moments like these that we can get a glimpse of how God is getting the glory in the midst of all of our sorrows. While we are all suffering, it's seeing others' faith while suffering that brings Him glory. Helping each other, praying for each other, etc. wouldn't be happening like this if we weren't all in the same situation. Who knows how many people you have touched and WILL touch in just relating your journey down the road, hopefully when you have that baby in your arms, you can share how awesome God is and has been and what glory you will give Him when that day comes! One of my fave songs that I listen to every morning is Aaron Shust's "My Hope is in You." If you haven't heard it, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RRZgr7wNDs Keep pressing on and pressing into God! You're running a race and He will bring you through it! How apt that the Olympics are on right now, huh? Feels like we're all running cross country or something...thank goodness He grants us grace for each day.

    ReplyDelete